Place Names J-M

Jacobs Point
Also Brickyard Point
This point of land between Oro and East Oro Bay on Anderson Island was named for the Jacobs brickyard which occupied the site for a number of years at the close of the 19th Century.

Johnson's Landing
This community is on the north end of Anderson Island, opposite Eagle Island. Bengt Johnson was born in Vegatorp, Sweden, on September 25, 1836. He came to America in 1863 and lived in Illinois, Arkansas and Kansas before coming to Washington in March of 1881. He settled on Anderson Island, raised a large family and died in July of 1917.

Julian Bay
Also Still Harbor
Julian Bay is an early name for Still Harbor on the north side of McNeil Island. Charles Julian (Julin) arrived on the island in 1882 and later had a post office which was called Gertrude from when it was founded January l5, 1900, until it was closed October 30, 1936. Members of the Julian family served at the post office for its entire thirty six years of operation.

Ketner's Point
On Fox Island facing Hale Passage across from Cromwell this point of land was owned by R.A. Ketner as shown on the Kroll 1915 Atlas of the County.

Ketron, Ketron Island
How is Ketron named after Kitson? I’m confused about these two Ketron Island was named by the Wilkes Expedition of 1841 for William Kitson who was the first superintendent of the Puget's Sound Agricultural Company activities at Nisqually. Mr. Kitson's map of the 1825-26 Peter S. Ogden expedition, south of the Snake River in present Idaho, is the first made through field work instead of second-hand information.

The plan of the Puget's Sound Agricultural Company claims at Nisqually signed by William F. Tolmie lists the island as Kitsons. It was also know as Gove Island when Captain Warren Gove lived there in the 1850s.

Ketron is also a railroad stop on the southwest corner of the William H. Wallace Donation Land Claim on the mainland east of Ketron Island and south of Steilacoom.

Kitson's Island
William Kitson, in charge of the operations of the Puget's Sound Agricultural Company at Nisqually in 1841 when the U.S. Exploring Expedition arrived, it was quite friendly to Wilkes. Huggins wrote that two of Kitson's children died in 1837 and were buried at Nisqually and Kitson himself died soon after the visit of Wilkes in Victoria.

Lake Josephine
Also Eagle Lake, Bass Lake
Lake Josephine on the east side of Anderson Island was named by Charles Hopkins who purchased land on the island in 1906. Mrs. Hopkins had the first name of Josephine, as did their daughter.

Lake Louise
Also Balch Lake
Lake Louise is east of Far West Drive in the Lakes District of Tacoma. According to Rex Kelly, a local long-time resident, it was named for Louise Hopping whose husband William P. Hopping owned land on three sides of the lake in the l920s. A news article in the Tacoma Daily Ledger for September 16, 1923 indicates that developer Jesse O. Thomas, Jr. named Lake Louise "... after the well known Canadian beauty spot." It was also known as Balch Lake for Lafayette Balch, founder of Steilacoom.

Lake Tolmie
Also American Lake
The 1856 Preston's Map of Oregon and Washington called what is currently know as American Lake near Tacoma, Lake Tolmie for William F. Tolmie of the Hudson's Bay Company. Mr. Tolmie was in charge of company operations at Nisqually in the 1840s and 1850s.

Lakes District
A region of Pierce County southwest of Tacoma and close to the shores of Puget Sound was named for the number of lakes in the region.

The region of Pierce County south and west of Tacoma has been known as Lakewood since the name was coined in the 1920s to describe the lakes and forests located there. The lake shores were used for summer homes, the prairies for grazing of sheep and cattle, and the mixed forests for a variety of purposes.

Lakewood Center
Until the 1930s the area around the Lakes district of Tacoma consisted of summer homes and estates on or near the several lakes. In 1937, Norton Clapp built a shopping center that combined several facilities under one roof. Other developers later acquired portions of Visitation Villa, a Catholic retreat, and constructed Villa Plaza, another shopping center. Since another post office named Lakewood existed in the state, the compromise name of Lakewood Center was developed.

Lyle Point
A point of land on the southeast tip of Anderson Island south of Oro Bay. It was named for William Lyle who owned land nearby as listed on the 1889 County Atlas.

McCarthy Point
Located on the northwest cape of McNeil Island, McCarthy Point was named on the Inskip map of 1846 for Lieutenant Henry H. McCarthy of the Royal Marines. Mr. McCarthy served aboard the HMS Fisgard from 1843 to 1847 at the Northwest Station of the Royal Navy. He became a Captain in 1851 and a Major in 1864. He died in 1903.

McNeil Island
Also Duntze Island and Pigeon Island
This island was named for Captain William H. McNeill of the Hudson's Bay Company steamer, the Beaver, by the Wilkes Expedition. McNeill was born in Boston in 1803 and became captain of the Beaver in 1837. He resigned in 1844 and went to England, returning to the Pacific Northwest in 1856. He became a chief factor for the Company and died near Victoria on September 4,1875. Wilkes dropped the second "l" in McNeill's name so the island is named McNeil. 

Lt. Peter Puget called the island Pigeon Island and R.A. Inskip called it Duntze Island.

Mission Prairie
Located on North Fort Lewis this prairie was named by the Wilkes Expedition of 1841 because the Methodist Mission organized by Jason Lee and operated by John Richmond was located there. The mission was built in early 1839 and was abandoned by the end of 1842.

Mud Lake
Also Waughop Lake
This lake, within Fort Steilacoom County Park, is shallow at one end and more properly known as Waughop Lake. The farm buildings there surround the lake on its north and east sides. Lieutenant August V. Kautz had a garden on the lake in the 1850s. There is another Mud Lake in the neighborhood which is shallow and almost a marsh. This lake is located north of 112th Street and South of Butte Drive in the Lakewood area of Tacoma.