Place Names D-F

Dahl Lake
Also Lake Josephine
Dahl Lake is an early name for Lake Josephine on Anderson Island. The John F. Dahl family came to Anderson Island in 1889 and settled on land south and east of the lake. They lived there until 1895. Mr. Dahl was a carpenter and built several barns and homes on the island.

Days Island
Also Day Island
Days Island was named by the Wilkes Expedition to honor Stephen W. Days, a hospital steward. The island is one half mile long, extending northward from the east shore of Puget Sound opposite the east end of nearby Fox Island (named for Days’ superior officer J. L. Fox). The U.S. Coast Survey map of 1873 called their reference point at that location Day.

Local folklore ignores the Wilkes Expedition's efforts. For much of the time the island is connected to the mainland, except for one or two “days” a year when the high tides really make it an island.

Drayton Passage
This waterway is west of Anderson Island in Puget Sound. It was named for Joseph Drayton, an artist on the U.S. Exploring Expedition of 1841. Drayton was a friend of Captain Wilkes and spent several years working on expedition reports. He was one of the several men who accompanied Wilkes on his overland journey from Fort Nisqually to Fort Vancouver.

Duntze Island
Also McNeil Island
The Inskip chart uses the name Duntze for McNeil Island. Captain John A. Duntze of the British frigate Fisgard was born August 26, 1806. He entered the Royal Navy in 1818, became a Captain in 1829 and served on the Northwest Station of the Royal Navy from 1843 to 1847. He became a Rear Admiral in 1855 and an Admiral in 1865. He died May l5, 1882. There is a Duntze Head at the entrance to Esquimalt Naval Base on Vancouver Island. Of the Puget Sound islands named for Duntze and his family only Gertrude Island off the north shore of McNeil Island retains a Duntze name.

This town, near the original site of Fort Nisqually, was established by the DuPont Company in 1906. The plant operated as a powder works until the late 1970s when the property was sold to the Weyerhaeuser Corporation. An official of the DuPont Company, Mr. E. E. Stewart wrote:

"After World War II the situation changed when better transportation became available. Homes were sold to their occupants and the town was incorporated in 1951. Several of the streets in DuPont are named for other DuPont company towns."

Dyke Point
Also Hyde Point
When the R.A. Inskip Chart of 1846 mapped the southeast shore of McNeil Island, Dyke Point was named for Lieutenant Charles Dyke, who was serving on the H.M.S. Fisgard during Inskip's visit to Puget Sound. In June of that year, Dyke was one of a party sent overland by Captain Duntze to Fort Vancouver.

Eagle Island
Eagle Island is a small island between Anderson and McNeil Islands in Puget Sound. The name first appeared on the Inskip Chart of 1846. Early settlers called it “Picnic Island” and picnicked there often.

Eden Creek
Located on McNeil Island flowing south to Balch Passage in Puget Sound, this creek was named for John Eden, who owned land on the creek in 1915. Mr. Eden is shown as living in Meridian on the island in the 1911 Pierce County Directory. The Butterfield Dam stops the creek to provide irrigation water to the farm belonging to the prison and for other purposes.

Fisgard Island
Also Anderson Island
This name was given to Anderson Island by R.A. Inskip on his chart of the lower Puget Sound in 1846. The British frigate HMS Fisgard was on station at Fort Nisqually between 1844 and 1847. The Fisgard had 42 guns and was built in Pembroke in 1819. After the return to England the Fisgard was employed as a guardship at the Woolwich arsenal for many years. There is a Fisgard Island at the entrance to Esquimalt Harbor on Vancouver Island.

Fisgardita Cove
The Nisqually Journal of June 9, 1846, recorded that Steilacoom Bay had been renamed Fisgardita Cove for the launch of the HMS Fisgard then on Nisqually Station of the Royal Navy. The Fisgard served to keep the British flag flying "...pending the settlement of the Oregon Boundary Question." (Huggins, Edward S. Letter to F. Cole, September 26, 1898.). (Pierce Co.).

Flett, Flett Creek
Flett is former stop on the street railway system south of Manitou. It was named for John Flett, who first came to the Puget Sound Country from the Red River settlements in present Manitoba in 1841. The Hudson's Bay Company hoped that Flett and the others who came would counteract the growing influence of Americans in the area. The experiment was not successful and most of those who came left.

Flett Creek rises east of South 74th Street and flows in a westerly direction into Chambers Creek. It drains that part of South Tacoma west of South Tacoma Way. 

Floyd Cove
Floyd Cove, on the northwest side of McNeil, was named for Joseph E. Floyd who owned land there before the Federal Government took the entire island for penitentiary purposes. Mr. Floyd served as post master at Meridian from June 4, 1903, to August 5, 1915.

Fort Nisqually
Fort Nisqually, the first evidence of European settlement in the county, was built near the mouth of Sequalitchew Creek close to the Nisqually tide flats in 1833. It was moved later to higher ground to be near a better source of wood and water. It was the headquarters of the Hudson's Bay Company and the Puget's Sound Agricultural Company on Puget Sound and was abandoned when they withdrew to Canada in 1869. The remains of the Fort were moved to Point Defiance Park in Tacoma in the 1930s. The property was acquired by Edward Huggins, last agent of the company on Puget Sound and was later sold to the DuPont Company.

Fort Steilacoom
After the Indian attack on Fort Nisqually in 1849, United States troops were called upon to establish U.S. military power on Puget Sound. A site was chosen for a military center on the farm of a recently deceased Englishman, Joseph T. Heath, above Steilacoom Bay. It become headquarters for United States military activity on Puget Sound until it was abandoned April 22, 1868. The fort served during the Indian War of 1855 56 as a refuge, supply station, and military center. The fort became the site of Western State Hospital. Four of the buildings from the Military period remain and are undergoing restoration.

Fox Island
This island, north and east of McNeil Island in Puget Sound, was named by the Wilkes Expedition of 1841 for J.L. Fox, assistant surgeon.